Chicken with Spring Onions, Chilli and Greek Yoghurt
- 6 skinless chicken breasts
- juice of 2 lemons
- approx 5 x 15ml tablespoons olive oil
- 500g tub of Greek yogurt
- 4 fat or 6 thin spring onions
- 1 fresh green chilli
- 2 cloves garlic
- half a cucumber, peeled and cut into small cubes
- 2-3 tablespoons each of freshly chopped coriander and mint
Open out each chicken breast, and cut into about 3 lengthways so that you have thinner, smaller pieces. Put them into a freezer bag, or dish, with the lemon juice and 3 tablespoons of oil, and season with salt and pepper. Meanwhile, get on with the sauce.
- Tip the yogurt into a large mixing bowl and, letting everything drop on top of it, slice the spring onions finely and deseed and chop the chilli finely, too.
- Peel and mince the garlic into the yogurt and also add the peeled cubed cucumber and most of the freshly chopped coriander and mint, reserving a little to sprinkle on top later.
- Mix all these ingredients together, and taste for seasoning; I like to add a fair bit of salt. Pour the 2 remaining tablespoons of olive oil into a large pan to heat up.
- Take the chicken out of the marinade and fry for 3-5 minutes a side or until golden outside in parts, and wholly cooked through. At the last minute, tip in about half of the lemony marinade to add sharpness and gloss.
- Remove the chicken pieces to a serving dish, and scrape the yogurt mixture into bowl, with a spoon to dollop, and sprinkle with the remaining chopped herbs.