Just spotted this article the other day when I was doing some research on Crossfit and running diet recommendations. Author, M.D., and PhD. Luigi Fontana presents some interesting research data in which he proposes that by cutting a diet in the range of 10-50% (a questionably large range, I think) animals and humans can dramatically increase their lifespan. This research is rooted in the biological reaction we have when reducing our daily calorie intake. By reducing calories human’s reduce the usage of pathways in that body that produce Insulin Growth Factor 1 (IGF-1), glucose, and TOR (Target of Rapamycin) which when used in excess, are considered to be factors that contribute to conditions such as heart disease, Type II Diabetes, and certain forms of cancer. Dr. Fontana further analyzes that 30% of animals on a calorie restricted diet tend to die from old age alone, rather than the other 70% of the population whose deaths are linked to various chronic diseases (as mentioned above). He proposes that people will not only live longer lives on this diet structure, but we will also stay healthier into old age (i.e.- better quality of life).
Check this article out! What do you think about a calorie restricted diet and how that lifestyle correlates to longevity?